What would be the best way to bring my spouse/fiance in US?

Asked over 2 years ago - Cupertino, CA

I'm a Bangladeshi (country of citizenship Bangladesh) us permanent resident. I'll be eligible to apply for us citizenship on January 2013. I'm getting married to my fiance on December 2012.

Will I able to apply for her permanent residentship at the time I apply for my citizenship?
If so how long does it usually take? Do they process both the request at the same time?

In case of delay, should I able to bring my wife on a temporary visa (tourist visa) and still apply for her permanent residentship?

Is there anything I can do now that will help to make the process/application easier?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

Additional information

My fiance is also a Bangladeshi citizen

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Deborah Lynne Karapetian

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You cannot process both at once. You first need to naturalize then petition your wife. I would just have everything ready to go and you can bring her here a little faster on the k-3 visa. Thats where you are married and she comes in to process her green card in the US. Only try for a temporary visa if she is truly eligible for a different visa type. There are several options you can choose from. Discuss vwith immigration counsel to see exactly what is best for you.

  2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The most efficient approach to your family plans is to marry your fiancé abroad, apply for your U.S. Naturalization by filing N400, without any snags or delays that should take between three to six months (provided you pass the civic exam and meet all the requisites).Then you could apply as a U.S. Citizen to petition for your spouse by filing I-130.
    That would be more efficient and will save costs of trying at first an LPR AOS, then a change to a USC AOS. In any event, consult a good immigration professional for the best option for you.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more
  3. Neil Ian Fleischer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can apply for her now, but she will likely not be elgible for a visa for 4-5 years. When you become a citizen, she will be eligible for a visa right away with about 4 -8 months of processing time. Entering on a B-2 tourist visa with intent of remaining could be perceived as fraud
    Plan accordingly with a lawyer


    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
  4. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can petition her once you are a US citizen. Processing time is six month to a year.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,858 answers this week

3,094 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,858 answers this week

3,094 attorneys answering