What would be the best way to bring my spouse/fiance in US?

Cupertino, CA |

I'm a Bangladeshi (country of citizenship Bangladesh) us permanent resident. I'll be eligible to apply for us citizenship on January 2013. I'm getting married to my fiance on December 2012.

Will I able to apply for her permanent residentship at the time I apply for my citizenship?
If so how long does it usually take? Do they process both the request at the same time?

In case of delay, should I able to bring my wife on a temporary visa (tourist visa) and still apply for her permanent residentship?

Is there anything I can do now that will help to make the process/application easier?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

My fiance is also a Bangladeshi citizen

You cannot process both at once. You first need to naturalize then petition your wife. I would just have everything ready to go and you can bring her here a little faster on the k-3 visa. Thats where you are married and she comes in to process her green card in the US. Only try for a temporary visa if she is truly eligible for a different visa type. There are several options you can choose from. Discuss vwith immigration counsel to see exactly what is best for you.

You can petition her once you are a US citizen. Processing time is six month to a year.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

You can apply for her now, but she will likely not be elgible for a visa for 4-5 years. When you become a citizen, she will be eligible for a visa right away with about 4 -8 months of processing time. Entering on a B-2 tourist visa with intent of remaining could be perceived as fraud
Plan accordingly with a lawyer

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

The most efficient approach to your family plans is to marry your fiancé abroad, apply for your U.S. Naturalization by filing N400, without any snags or delays that should take between three to six months (provided you pass the civic exam and meet all the requisites).Then you could apply as a U.S. Citizen to petition for your spouse by filing I-130.
That would be more efficient and will save costs of trying at first an LPR AOS, then a change to a USC AOS. In any event, consult a good immigration professional for the best option for you.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Recommended articles about Immigration