What would be my best option to return the US as soon as possible: Apply for a student visa or marry my bf who is a US citizen?

New York, NY |

I have an i130 petition (since 2010, status-initial review), Us citizen filing for an unmarried daughter over21. I was in the Us earlier this year for a period of 6mths with the intention of adjusting my status. We were told I wasn't eligible to do so each time we called USCIS, but later learned we could have. My dad didn't have a lawyer on the case. USCIS advised me to go out of the country and return again to apply for another 6 mths. Did so for a few days but upon arrival at the airport I was refused entry mainly because I was forced to tell an officer i babysat for my godmother for the period, needless to say I was psychologically deceived. I was simply trying to stay in status while I wait to adjust my status. Given my pending i130, I was given d option to withdraw my visa. Pls help.

Because of your immigration history and what happened at the airport, I would recommend contacting a qualified attorney to fully evaluate and discuss your case.

Legal disclaimer: By answering this question, there is no intention to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. An attorney-client relationship has not been formed. The answer is not intended as anything other than the opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The answer given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Can I contact you privately about it or do I need a qualified lawyer in the New York area?

Given the previous refusal of entry and the pending I-130 on your behalf, the likelihood of you getting an F-1 visa is very close to 0. That being said, even if you get married, you may still encounter problems coming back in (I would need to get all the details of your case to advise you).
This is definitely not something you should be doing without an attorney.

Greg Romanovsky
www.romanovskylaw.com

What is your contact info?

Gregory Romanovsky

Gregory Romanovsky

gr@romanovskylaw.com www.romanovskylaw.com 212.500.5114 617.787.0000

Gregory Romanovsky

Gregory Romanovsky

Sorry for the typo. It is 212.500.1114 or 617.787.0000

Gregory Romanovsky

Gregory Romanovsky

I think you tried calling the office and left your phone number, but it is a magic jack number and I cannot call it unless you call us first. Please try again at 617.787.0000

Gregory Romanovsky

Gregory Romanovsky

We still cannot reach you at that number. Is there another number we can call?

Marriage visa .... yes.

Hiring a lawyer this time .... YES

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics