What would be best in my case? File under the DREAM ACT or My husband?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tulare, CA

I'm 23 years old and have been in this county since I was 8. I have 2 children and married to a U.S citizen. I'm enrolled in school to finish my G.E.D.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

2

Answered . You mean DACA (there is no such thing as the "DREAM" Act, was never passed.)

I would do BOTH. First DACA, which will enable you to officially "come out of the closet" so to speak, and obtain an employment authorization card, a state issued ID, DL and SSA card.

Then, for your husband's green card petition on your behalf, it's not that simple. I strongly recommend sitting down with an experienced immigration lawyer. The first part of the petition will have to be filed in the US, with a Stateside Waiver of your inadmissibility based on "extreme hardship" to your husband, as well as the immigrant visa petition in Cd. Juarez are best discussed with and explained by a professional .

2. Rodrigo Ivan Canido

1

Answered . Hello,

From the information available it looks like you could de either. Deferred action (the closest thing we have to the dream act) only gives you two years legal status and then you have to renew it after that. A petition through your husband for a green card (if you qualify) is permanent. The petition through your husband will cost more though.
    --

LORIC, Immigration Solutions

Rodrigo Ivan Canido
    Managing Attorney

3333 Bowers Ave, Suite 130
    Santa Clara, CA 95054
    Tel: 650-279-5933
    Email: rcanido@loric.net.in
    www.loric.net.in

3. Michael Hugh Carlin

2

Answered . The Dream Act is not a law. You are probably referring to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). You could do either or both options. I suggest you consult with an immigration lawyer near you.