What will ultimately happen to me if i have an accident in which i have my permit and was driving without a legal driver ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lynn, MA

I crashed her but she got right in my right of way without me having enough time to brake and prevent me from hitting her. I know i dont have a lisence so i guess it was "my fault" so i guess what im asking is what whats the worst case that could happen to me ? And can she sue me ?

1. Gilbert Richard Hoy Jr

Pro

2

Answered . Whether or not you have a license is not what will determine fault. That depends on who was responsible, that is caused, the accident. Contact the insurance company for the car. In that you have your permit, there may be insurance coverage.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . Yes, she can sue you. Yes, your lack of a license could haunt you as your involvement in this collision can impact the future for you!

Pro

3

Answered . She can sue

4. Merry Melinda Fountain

Pro

2

Answered . From the facts presented you were at fault so, yes, she can sue you. If there was insurance on the vehicle you were driving you should find out if it would cover you even though you were not a licensed driver. In Indiana, where I practice, sometimes unlicensed drivers will be covered under a policy and other times they are excluded, but I am not sure about Massachusetts. If you were ticketed by the police you may also want to consult with a traffic ticket attorney in your town.