Skip to main content

What will the punishment be for a violation of proabtion in Texas for a DWI?

Sherman, TX |

I was charged with my first and only crime, a DWI, in July of 2012. Part of my probationary terms were to have an interlock put on my car, pay court costs, pay probation costs, and attend two different meetings that cost about 100 each. I also have to pay about 240 a month for insurance on my vehicle. I have to maintain a job (which I have). I told my probabtion officer a few months ago that I didn't have the money for an interlock, so I wouldn't drive, or the classes until some of the costs dropped off. At that time, he said ok. I didn't have a ride to probation tonight, so I drove myself. When asked how I got there, I told him the truth. He said he would have to report my violations to the court to see how they wanted to handle it. I am just curious what typically happens now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you're license was suspended, and conditioned upon having the interlock, you may be charged with driving on a suspended license as well as a probation violation. If you had an attorney on the DUI, I suggest giving them a call. Good luck.


If you blew over .15, you are looking at up to 1 year in jail.

As far as the classes, if you did not take the driving course, your license will be suspended for that violation, and you could be revoked.

When someone takes probation, they agree to all the terms - which are very expensive. If you cannot do the terms (which includes paying the money), then you leave the judge with little choice.

Cynthia Henley


Your probation could be revoked. You need to contact an attorney now. Violating even a single condition of probation may be very serious.
Austin DWI and Probation Lawyer

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,


It depends on which court your case is in. Judge Henderson in CCL #1 is a lot more amenable to allowing the assistant DA to work with the probationer than Judge Seibman in CCL # 2. One violation may be enough to get you revoked but if you hire a good attorney, you may have a chance at continuing on probation. My office is next dooe to the probation office, so if I was your attorney, I would walk over there and have a talk with your officer to see how we could solve this problem BEFORE they file the Motion to Revoke. If they file the motion, you will be arrested and probably not given a bond. You will stay in jail until your hearing which will be about 20 days from your arrest. That is why you need to hire an attorney immediatly.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer