What will my son get for being absconded and for a felony VOP in Florida?

Lake City, FL |

He was originally charged with dealing in stolen property/trafficking and cheating. He was given four years state probation as the dealing in stolen property carried a four year sentence and I believe the cheating was also four years. He spent three years and three months on probation.

I am sorry but we need more information to answer. Why did he violate? Is it trafficking in drugs or property? What is the crime of cheating? Know that your son can get up to the max of all his charges. For example, the dealing in stolen property is a 2nd degree felony, punishable by up to 15 years prison. Hire him a good local lawyer.

There is no way to know. We would just be guessing because we know nothing of his criminal history, or anything about why your son absconded or what he has been up to since he absconded. Your son needs a Criminal Defense attorney ASAP to try to work something out. The longer he remains an absconder the worse it will usually be for him.

For more information or to set up a free initial consultation contact the Mangrum Law Firm at 407-349-7474 or MangrumLaw@gmail.com. This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship. It is offered for informational purposes only. Please consult with a licensed attorney before making any legal decisions.

As my colleagues stated we need to know more abouot his charges and his sentence before we can guess at a time frame; however and generally, on a VOP the probationer is facing incarceration for however much time s/he could have been sentenced to at the time of s/he was sentenced (the statutory maximum) minus whatever time s/he has already served. (So, hypothetically, if Little Johnny couold have gotten 10 years, and served 3, then he is looking at 7 on a VOP.)

However, if any new charges accrue then the probationer will also be looking at substantive sentencing on a new offense (for example, bail jumping) which could be consecutive to the sentence for the VOP.

If you want to know what your son is facing the quickest answer will come from speaking to the attorney who represented him at the time of sentencing. That attorney should have (or have access to) the sentencing guidelines as applied in your son's case and should be able to tell you pretty much spot on what you son is facing on a VOP.

No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A on Avvo. Anything that you post on Avvo (or similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, and as this is an open forum there is no attorney client privilege attached, so be careful (forewarned is forearmed.)