Skip to main content

What will likely happen if immigration come and get my parents. They have been convicted of a felony and one misdemeanor.

Savannah, GA |

My parents have been convicted with a felony for commercial gambling and one misdemeanor.
Also they're undocumented in the U.S. the probation officer came and told them they had called the INS. My dad been in U.S. for 14 years and my mom been here since 8 years. what will happen if immigration come and get them? please let me know.

Attorney Answers 7

  1. You need to discuss this with an immigration lawyer. Contact Carlos Solomiany at 404-812-4300.

  2. You should contact an immigration attorney to review the convictions to check whether it's for a crime involving moral turpitude or an aggravated felony. Since they are here illegaly, also it's important to evaluate if there's any immigration relief for which they qualify.

  3. I agree with my colleagues. Your parents need the services of an immigration attorney asap!

  4. A foreign national who has been convicted of a felony could face serious immigration consequences, including removal from the US. It is crucial that you get the help of a qualified immigration attorney.

  5. I agree with my colleages. Your parents should contact an immigration attorney immediately.

  6. I agree with my colleagues. The question becomes whether the conviction constitutes an aggravated felony or merely a crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT). One CIMT conviction will not subject them deportation on criminal related grounds so long as it occurred more than 5 years after their admission. And aggravated felony conviction dooms them. That said, since they are undocumented they may be taken into custody, and immigration court proceedings will be instituted for their other immigration law violations. the question then becomes if they are subject to the mandatory detention provisions of the law.

    Bottom line, they need good representation now.

  7. It's not a matter of "if" they get your parents, it is a matter of when. Contact an immigration attorney ASAP as they may be able to advise your family and get them released on a bond ASAP. My firm handles deportation defense.
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics