What will i get for offense:: telecommunications harassment, a misdemeanor of the first degree?

Pataskala, OH |
Filed under: Criminal defense

i emailed my ex boyfriends wife and she emailed me back and at the end of her email she put do not contact me again....and not knowing the law or ever hearing of telecommunications harassment i emailed her back one more time...i got a certified letter in the mail with a court date....what is going to happen if this is my first offense

I agree with the first answer. I would add that, this sounds relatively benign. If you have an attorney on your side, you may be able to avoid criminal penalties by getting this reduced to a non-criminal offense or doing a deferred prosecution agreement (which is like being on probation for awhile. If you successfully complete the "probation," then the case will be dismissed.).

Also, unfortunately, ignorance of the law is not a defense. You are presumed to know the laws of your state.

Your chances of successfully negotiating a deal you can live with or defending yourself increase exponentially with an attorney on your side. Consult with local, experienced criminal defense attorneys. Most initial consultations are free. So, you have nothing to lose at first.

Good luck!

Get an attorney. Do not speak to anyone about the case except for that attorney. The attorney you hire may be able to give you an idea of potential sentences after reviewing the case. Each court, prosecutor, and case is different. A misdemeanor of the first degree carries a potential penalty of 0 to 180 days in jail and up to a $1,000.00 fine.