What will happen with a 3rd degree criminal trespassing charge for climbing over a stopped train?- Louisville, KY

Louisville, KY |

I was leaving my University today and had to cross over the railroad tracks running next to the University to get to where I was going. The train was in a complete stop. After climbing over one of the carts I was yelled at by a railroad police officer and handcuffed and thrown into the back of his car. I did not resists arrest, attempt to run, or cause disturbance to the office, which caused confusion as to why I was handcuffed. Along side of me, a professor and another graduate student were also arrested. The charge was 3rd degree criminal trespassing and we now have a court date. The officer wrote, on the citation, that there are no trespassing signs posted next to the tracks, which is very untrue. What will happen in court and is there a possibility of getting this thrown out?

Nobody can predict what will happen to you based on your post.

Many factors such as the record, your history, what ruling you have, whether witnesses are credible all matter and that makes it near impossible to say what "will happen" as far as an outcome. No one online can validly predict what the future holds. Click the Lawyer Search tab on Avvo and look for an attorney in your area.

Finally, you might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-tell-my-lawyer

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding.