What will happen when I go to my I-485 interview if I’ve been arrested and a deportable charge was filed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I pleaded not guilty and my criminal case is ongoing. Now I am scheduled for an interview. What will happen? Will my application be simply denied or will I receive an RFE?

1. Andrew William Clopman

2

Answered . Both you and your criminal attorney should be in touch with an immigration attorney regarding this matter. You won't be able to have a decision on your I-485 with the criminal matter pending, and you will likely receive an RFE. Depending on what you were charged with and what is in the arrest report, there is a possibility you could get a denial too. You really need an immigration attorney to evaluate the immigration consequences of the criminal matter.

2. Jeffrey Adam Devore

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Clopman. Depending on what you have been charged with a conviction may not be required to render you inadmissible. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and advise you what to expect and how best to proceed.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Most likely they will give your immigration attorney (don't go to the interview without one) a RFE.

4. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . It will not be adjudicated until the criminal matter is over.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.