What will happen to my valid B1 visa if I got denied to change my status to F1?

Asked over 1 year ago - Arlington, TX

I'm an International medical student who came to the states on B1 visa to do some medical clerkship and now I'm applying for German course in UTA and I want to change my status to F1 but I have only 2 months left on my i-94. What's your advice? How long does this process take? And what will happen to my valid B1 visa if I got denied to change my status to F1?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . Talk to foreign student advisor first at the UTA.

2. Sarah E. Blackwell

Answered . You can file for a change of status, but you should be aware USCIS often does not look favorably on B-1 to F-1 changes. The international student advisor at UTA should be familiar with your situation and know the likely outcome of an I-539 application and how long it usually takes.

If your change of status gets denied and you have overstayed your I-94, then you will be accruing unlawful presence and should leave the country immediately. If you left immediately and also kept the denial notice, then you might be able to avoid cancellation of your B-1 visa.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . The fastest and easiest way to be on F-1 status is to leave the US and apply for the F-1 visa abroad.