What will happen to my record?

New York, NY |

I was caught (along with friends) smoking on the street in NYC and received a violation and a summons. I am 16 and this is my first offense. The police said that this is neither something to worry about with regards to college and that my parents will not know. I am aware that I will have to pay a fine. Is my future ruined? Will they send a letter to my house?

1. Is this a pink summons? Your future is not ruined. You and your friends should hire a criminal defense lawyer to try and get the case dismissed. I handle these matters all the time.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Yes, you want to make sure that this case is dismissed, as there are financial aid consequences for drug convictions, even possession of small amounts of marijuana. Consult an attorney immediately.

My direct line: 646-606-6002. www.thefalkowskifirm.com. If this answer is helpful and/or the best answer, then please indicate it as so. Thank you. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship.