What will happen to a illegal immigrant, charged with DWI?

My husband was recently arrested and charged with DWI, no immigration hold was placed. This is the first time he has gotten in trouble. Is there a possible chance of deportation and what other risk does he face?

Waco, TX -

Robert Sterling Guest

Robert Sterling Guest

DUI / DWI Attorney - Forney, TX

You need a local defense lawyer to advise you on what to expect. I have represented defendants with varying degrees of status in our country, it may be possible to get through this process and avoid deportation. You need an experienced local defense lawyer to have the chance to help your husband. Find a lawyer who has not only DWI experience, but experience with non-citizen defendants. I would also recommend that you visit an immigration lawyer to see if anything can be done to help your husband stay in the country, and to advise you during the criminal case.

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

DUI / DWI Attorney - Dallas, TX

An illegal immigrant is always at risk for being deported. It will hurt his chances of staying here legally if he takes a DWI conviction. He needs to find an attorney in his area who regularly handles DWIs. They are complex cases, but there are many ways to beat them. He needs to do everything possible to prevent a conviction.

Richard Timothy Jones

Richard Timothy Jones

DUI / DWI Attorney - Austin, TX

If he's an illegal immigrant and immigration finds out, he will be deported. This is not related to the DWI. Generally a first time DWI (alcohol) will not affect the status of a LEGAL immigrant.
www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
512-495-1813
Austin Probation Lawyer
Austin DWI Lawyer

Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Angelo, TX

Any person who is illegally in the USA is at risk of deportation, or as it is now called, "removal". For this reason, your husband should immediately consult a reputable immigration lawyer.

One good one is Thomas Esparza in Austin.