What will happen now? Other driver has insurance and was ticketed

Asked over 1 year ago - Flint, MI

I live in Michigan. no insurance at time. I was hurt and car damaged but was not ticketed.

Attorney answers (7)

  1. Steven M. Gursten

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Sadly, if you are the owner and the operator of the vehicle, then the answer to your question is you are barred from any injury lawsuit and barred from collecting PIP no fault benefits and barred from collecting a mini tort for the first $1,000 of your vehicle damage. Michigan has a terribly unfair law in this regard. Here is a blog that gives you a more comprehensive explanation: http://www.michiganautolaw.com/auto-lawyers-blo...

  2. Timothy J. Klisz


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Only Mr. Gursten is correct, the out of state answers are incorrect. Michigan is a very unique state for car accidents.

    My answer to you question does not constitute legal advice. Only an in person or telephone consultation will... more
  3. Matthew C Simon


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you were injured, seek medical treatment and go to a local personal injury attorney. Many offer free consultationd. He or she can represent you and obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries. Feel better.

    The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-... more
  4. Jeffrey R Caffee

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I completely agree with the post above. If you were injured, seek medical treatment and go to a local personal injury attorney.

    This comment is made as general information and is in no way to be considered legal advice. Attorney's making... more
  5. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Michigan, you are out of luck when you don't have insurance. Best bet is to get insurance so you don't put yourself in this same situation again.

  6. Thomas William James

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You cannot sue for anything because you didn't have insurance.

    If you do decide to call an attorney, make sure you start the conversation with "I was in an auto accident with my own car and I did not have auto insurance." The conversation should be very quick following that sentence... if not, then you need to call another attorney.

    Good luck,
    /Tom James
    Trial Attorney at MichiganAutoLaw.com

  7. Cristine Wasserman Rathe

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Michigan has very specific laws regarding auto accidents which preclude an owner/operator of a vehicle that does not have insurance from suing for personal injuries like pain and suffering. I would be happy to talk with you about this if you need additional information.

    Each employment situation has unique facts and circumstances. This means that information and advice cannot be... more

Related Topics

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Jon Mitchell Jackson

Automobile Accidents

Most people are not aware of the fact that motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of injury and death in the United States. Americans collectively drive almost three trillion miles... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,440 answers this week

2,932 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,440 answers this week

2,932 attorneys answering