What will happen now? Other driver has insurance and was ticketed

Asked over 1 year ago - Flint, MI

I live in Michigan. no insurance at time. I was hurt and car damaged but was not ticketed.

1. Steven M. Gursten

10

Answered . Sadly, if you are the owner and the operator of the vehicle, then the answer to your question is you are barred from any injury lawsuit and barred from collecting PIP no fault benefits and barred from collecting a mini tort for the first $1,000 of your vehicle damage. Michigan has a terribly unfair law in this regard. Here is a blog that gives you a more comprehensive explanation: http://www.michiganautolaw.com/auto-lawyers-blo...

2. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

8

Answered . Only Mr. Gursten is correct, the out of state answers are incorrect. Michigan is a very unique state for car accidents.

3. Matthew C Simon

Pro

5

Answered . If you were injured, seek medical treatment and go to a local personal injury attorney. Many offer free consultationd. He or she can represent you and obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries. Feel better.

4. Jeffrey R Caffee

5

Answered . I completely agree with the post above. If you were injured, seek medical treatment and go to a local personal injury attorney.

Pro

4

Answered . In Michigan, you are out of luck when you don't have insurance. Best bet is to get insurance so you don't put yourself in this same situation again.

6. Thomas William James

Answered . You cannot sue for anything because you didn't have insurance.

If you do decide to call an attorney, make sure you start the conversation with "I was in an auto accident with my own car and I did not have auto insurance." The conversation should be very quick following that sentence... if not, then you need to call another attorney.

Good luck,
    /Tom James
    Trial Attorney at MichiganAutoLaw.com

7. Cristine Wasserman Rathe

Answered . Michigan has very specific laws regarding auto accidents which preclude an owner/operator of a vehicle that does not have insurance from suing for personal injuries like pain and suffering. I would be happy to talk with you about this if you need additional information.