What will happen now? Other driver has insurance and was ticketed

Flint, MI |

I live in Michigan. no insurance at time. I was hurt and car damaged but was not ticketed.

1. If you were injured, seek medical treatment and go to a local personal injury attorney. Many offer free consultationd. He or she can represent you and obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries. Feel better.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

2. Sadly, if you are the owner and the operator of the vehicle, then the answer to your question is you are barred from any injury lawsuit and barred from collecting PIP no fault benefits and barred from collecting a mini tort for the first $1,000 of your vehicle damage. Michigan has a terribly unfair law in this regard. Here is a blog that gives you a more comprehensive explanation: http://www.michiganautolaw.com/auto-lawyers-blog/2012/11/16/top-9-risks-of-driving-uninsured-in-michigan/

3. I completely agree with the post above. If you were injured, seek medical treatment and go to a local personal injury attorney.

This comment is made as general information and is in no way to be considered legal advice. Attorney's making such comments have no information beyond the information provided in the question presented. Additional information is necessary before an attorney can give specific advice. Please seek legal counsel.

4. Only Mr. Gursten is correct, the out of state answers are incorrect. Michigan is a very unique state for car accidents.

My answer to you question does not constitute legal advice. Only an in person or telephone consultation will result in an attorney/client relationship. Call me at (313)402-0853 to discuss your matter further.

5. In Michigan, you are out of luck when you don't have insurance. Best bet is to get insurance so you don't put yourself in this same situation again.

6. You cannot sue for anything because you didn't have insurance.

If you do decide to call an attorney, make sure you start the conversation with "I was in an auto accident with my own car and I did not have auto insurance." The conversation should be very quick following that sentence... if not, then you need to call another attorney.

Good luck,
    /Tom James
    Trial Attorney at MichiganAutoLaw.com

7. Michigan has very specific laws regarding auto accidents which preclude an owner/operator of a vehicle that does not have insurance from suing for personal injuries like pain and suffering. I would be happy to talk with you about this if you need additional information.

Each employment situation has unique facts and circumstances. This means that information and advice cannot be taken literally and should be used as only informational. The information provided here is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.