What will happen in court for interlock violation of .06?

Asked 5 months ago - Norfolk, VA

I blew into the interlock with a .06 back in January and have an upcoming court date. Since the incident I've abstained from alcohol. I went to the 4 week asap class, am currently in treatment and report to my scheduled appointments for the device. I also followed all rules to get my restricted license and all fees are paid. Im concerned that I didn't keep a log book after I installed the machine. I want to go to court and be honest about why I blew.. The reason was from the previous night and made me sick after I woke upk midday due to the fact I dont drink. This was a moment of weakness. I chose to not have a lawyer because I know I made a huge mistake but what can happen? I have anxiety attacks daily.

1. Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

Pro

5

1

Answered . If your choice to not have an attorney represent you is financially based you should ask the Court to appoint an attorney for you. Not only are facing ramifications with your ASAP violation but you also will be facing time over your head for the DUI. Reconsider your decision to go at this alone and seek legal guidance.

2. Wayne Lee Kim

Pro

4

1

Answered . well with a violation, you are subject to all your suspended jail time and suspended fines and can lose your restricted license. You really should ask for court appointed attorney or hire an attorney. Even though you may think you are in violation, there is a second step of what will the judge do about it.

An attorney can advocate on your behalf and explain the situation and may be able to negotiate that your probation is extended rather than having the court impose jail time. There is a strong chance that the court will revoke your restricted license though. My advice is to find an attorney

3. Jennifer Raimo

Pro

4

1

Answered . At the very least, you can expect to lose your restricted license. Consuming alcohol is at all is against ASAP's rules and can result in the imposition of some or all of the jail time that was previously suspended.

You mention you've already decided to back to court without a lawyer. I'm not sure that's such a good idea. At least go to a consultation appointment with an attorney who appears regularly in your court. Many offer free consultations and can give you an idea of how your particular judge tends to rule in this type of case.

4. Mark Steven Paullin

Pro

1

Answered . Dear Norfolk - You are at a place w here you should consider alcohol detox program - you are indicating to the court, by violating your ASAP prohibitions - that you are either unwilling or unable to stay off the juice. It is time for you to "face the music" and decide if you can beat this thing. I wish you well and hope that you find the guidance and strength to move forward. Good luck.