What will happen if you swear in to the National Guard and then want to get out before basic training has even started?

Bellevue, OH |
Filed under: Military law

Many things about my wages and deployment time was found out after I had sworn in. My recruiter was not truthful. This is a hardship to my family. I have for kids under the age of 12.

1. You need to contact the recruiter's supervisor immediately and inform them that you feel you have been misled. Under the personnel regulations, if you do not go to basic training, you will receive an "Entry Level Separation" and will be free to leave the National Guard. This is not a discharge; it's simply an adminstrative action that lets you out of the military and you may or maynot be permitted to join sometime in the future.

When members of the military, reserve or National Guard have served less than 180-days, they receive this kind of separation when they become in-eligible to serve.

If you state that you are refusing to ship to basic training, you will most certainly be in-eligible and will receive an ELS.

Military law topics