What will happen if im paying a court fine 3 days late?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I am a college student and this week I have class during the times the courts payment window is open. Tomorrow is my day off so I can pay then (tuseday was the due date) I have made 4 payments already of $150 all on time. The charge is possession of marijuana.

Courts like their money on time, but more than that, they just like their money. Likely, they will just accept your money and your apology. Better, however, to find a way to get it there today.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

There may be a warrant for your arrest based on your failure to appear regarding the payment. Go to the clerk's window and check if there is a warrant. If there is a warrant you will have to wait while the papers are found and brought into the court.

I would make sure that you have payment in full. If you have the payment, then the court should allow you to pay in full. Try to get to court early with the total amount owed and most probably there will be no problem. It might also help to bring a copy of your class schedule in case the court wants proof that you had to be in class.

If you have any further questions, you can call me at 718-208-6094 or email me at

I have been a criminal defense attorney for over 20 years. Feel free to view my website at or contact me either by phone at 718-208-6094 or via email at This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

If you fail to appear on your court date, a judge will issue a bench warrant for your arrest. When you go in to pay, the warrant will be vacated. However, you risk arrest in the interim. Maybe you can send someone to pay for you??

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

A warrant was likely issued for your arrest when you failed to appear to pay the fine as scheduled. You may have to sit around in court all day to get to see the judge so that the warrant will be vacated but there shouldn't be any other problems as long as you pay. That is a pretty steep fine for a marijuana charge.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website

I am sorry to hear about your situation. You should get there as soon as possible to pay. It is not very likely that you will get in trouble, but it is possible. When you pay it make sure nothing else happened, such as a warrant being issued.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
Hayley Greenberg
Greenberg & Merola, LLP
Attorneys at Law
521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
New York, NY 10175
(212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
(Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)