What will happen if im paying a court fine 3 days late?

Asked almost 3 years ago - New York, NY

I am a college student and this week I have class during the times the courts payment window is open. Tomorrow is my day off so I can pay then (tuseday was the due date) I have made 4 payments already of $150 all on time. The charge is possession of marijuana.

1. Howard A. Schwartz

Answered . There may be a warrant for your arrest based on your failure to appear regarding the payment. Go to the clerk's window and check if there is a warrant. If there is a warrant you will have to wait while the papers are found and brought into the court.

I would make sure that you have payment in full. If you have the payment, then the court should allow you to pay in full. Try to get to court early with the total amount owed and most probably there will be no problem. It might also help to bring a copy of your class schedule in case the court wants proof that you had to be in class.

If you have any further questions, you can call me at 718-208-6094 or email me at howard@brooklynlaw.net.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . If you fail to appear on your court date, a judge will issue a bench warrant for your arrest. When you go in to pay, the warrant will be vacated. However, you risk arrest in the interim. Maybe you can send someone to pay for you??

3. Richard C. Southard

Pro

Answered . A warrant was likely issued for your arrest when you failed to appear to pay the fine as scheduled. You may have to sit around in court all day to get to see the judge so that the warrant will be vacated but there shouldn't be any other problems as long as you pay. That is a pretty steep fine for a marijuana charge.

4. Hayley R. Greenberg

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation. You should get there as soon as possible to pay. It is not very likely that you will get in trouble, but it is possible. When you pay it make sure nothing else happened, such as a warrant being issued.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.
    Hayley Greenberg
    Greenberg & Merola, LLP
    Attorneys at Law
    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700
    New York, NY 10175
    (212) 593-6111, facsimile (516) 887-1720
    (Additional offices: Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island)
    www.GreenbergMerola.com

5. Barry Franklin Poulson

Answered . Courts like their money on time, but more than that, they just like their money. Likely, they will just accept your money and your apology. Better, however, to find a way to get it there today.