Skip to main content

What will happen if I violate a stay away order?

Long Beach, CA |

I received a stay away order that stated I cannot be near any marijuana dispensary in November. 3 days after I went to pick up my stuff and ended up in a raid of the dispensary. I received a ticket and I want to know what might be the outcome on the court date?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Violation of a court order is a misdemeanor that carries up to 6 months in jail. You need a good criminal defense attorney. I'd strongly suggest you find someone who focuses on criminal law and who routinely practices in the court where this case will be heard.

    The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

  2. You need an attorney as you violated the terms of your probation.


  3. You could end up with a misdemeanor filing against you. Contact some attorneys and get some help. Many of us on Avvo provide a free consultation.

  4. As the other attorneys indicated this can give rise to a criminal charge of violation of a restraining order. The end result of the court case depends on a number of factors including your record, whether you are on probation and several other variables. This is a misdemeanor case. Best you sit down with some local attorneys to discuss in more detail. Many of us offer free consults including my firm.

  5. Hmm. It sounds like a city prosecutor asked for this probation term and it was granted. I have had prosecutors in the Long Beach courthouse ask for these types of conditions and I fight them. It's a ridiculous condition and likely a violation of state law. So anything can happen from the new case being picked up along with a probation violation so you will be sentenced to jail on both cases to the new case being dismissed and a jail term only on the second case. Lawyer up and fight it.

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.