What will happen if i have a process from the police,but my viza finish and i must leave the country?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Hyattsville, MD

hi, first of all i want to thank for this opportunity to have a good answer because i really need it.The story is about that i was with two friend in a store and they take some clothes..the security catch them and they take and me because i take a wallet from that store..after this the police came...we didnt`t have any ID..so we just give them our names...and adress...in the citation is written that we must pay 500 $..i don`t know how it will finish this..because on 9 of september our students viza J-1 expires and we leave the country...maybe this process will not go to court...because is the first situation.i want to came next year..so i don`t want to have any problems with the law...i think the police just frighten us..is it about PG in MD county..in how many days will come the letter?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ricky Malik

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If you have to appear in Court and fail to do so a bench warrant will be issued against you and this could cause you serious problems in the future. You need to check with an attorney to determine if you have been charged, and if so, what steps need to be taken so that it can be resolve the mattter. I notice you are in Hyattsville, MD, which is my stomping ground. You can contact my office and schedule a consultation to determine how best to handle this matter.

    Ricky Malik
    Senior Attorney

  2. Maria Fuster Glinsmann

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You must get yourself a criminal defense lawyer. Let me say it again, YOU MUST HIRE A CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER. If you plead guilty to the crime of theft, you will make yourself deportable and inadmissible for having committed a crime involving moral turpitude. It sounds like this is your first encounter with the law, which will most likely make you eligible for some sort of diversionary process, and reduce or eliminate the possibility of a "guilty" disposition. Make sure your criminal defense attorney is experienced in handling cases for immigrant defendants.

    Feel free to take advantage of our Free 30 Minute Consultation to get the reliable advice you require. You can schedule your appointment by clicking on the BOOK NOW button on our website: www.glinlaw.com and choose Option 1. The link below will also take you to the appointment scheduling system. We would be happy to work with you so that you can make an informed decision on how to proceed.

    REVIEW MY CREDENTIALS: http://www.glinlaw.com/MariaGlinsmann.html

    REVIEW OUR CONSULTATION INSTRUCTIONS: http://www.glinlaw.com/Consult.htm

    SCHEDULE A FREE CONSULTATION: http://www.timecenter.com/glinlaw

  3. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I would tend to agree with the lawyer, it is good advice which should not be ignored.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,606 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,606 answers this week

3,015 attorneys answering