What will happen if I don't pay my rent for the next 60 days ?

Ontario, CA |

I have been served a 60 day notice. My landlord wants to move back into her house. What will happen if I don't pay rent for the next 60 days ? I am NOT confident that I will get any of my deposit back. I know she is moving back in to do a reverse mortgage, so I don't think she has the deposit money saved to return to me.

1. Although no one can really predict the future, one of two likely scenarios will happen if you don't pay rent for the 60 day period. One possibility is that the landlord will serve you with a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit, followed by an unlawful detainer (eviction) lawsuit. Another possibility is that the landlord will do nothing during the 60 day period, but may evict you via an unlawful detainer lawsuit following the expiration of the 60 days if you do not move out. The landlord would then likely apply the security deposit to cover the rent for the 60 day period, but you also expose yourself to a lawsuit if you owe additional back rent and/or if you caused excessive damage.

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This Avvo.com posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.