What will happen if I don't pay maryland state tax bill

Asked 11 months ago - Temple Hills, MD

If one owes state taxes to Maryland, and have not paid them in 5 or more years. What will happen? The taxes is for a non-profit one use to have. It is no longer in business as of 2011. Can they go after personal property?

1. Glen Edward Frost

Pro

2

Answered . What type of taxes are they? If the taxes are for Employer withholding, the State may be able to assess the responsible officer's of the company personally and take collection action against them. Since the business is out of business, it may be possible to reach a settlement with the State, such as an Offer in Compromise. Feel free to call me at 410-497-5947 if you want to discuss.

2. Joel I Hoffman

Pro

Answered . I agree with both of. my colleagues. In addition, if tjese are State income taxes, the state can file a lien against any real estate that you mY own amd ultimately can cause the property to be sold to pay the taxes. But, even if they do not enforce the lien, it will stay on the recods and it would ultimately have to be satisfied if the property is sold. If it were transferred to a relative or tjer third party than tha transfer would be subject to the lien. try and get a settlement plan with the satate and ask them to release the lien if they have already done that.

3. Robert J. Hoffman

Pro

Answered . To augment Mr. Frost's answer, I've had several clients from Maryland who had their drivers' licenses/registrations frozen by the Comptroller of Maryland. 'm not certain about your particular situation, but it's definitely something to consider. I've attached a newspaper article below for your review.