What will happen if I can't pay my $2600 in court fines and fees and also $138 /mo in probation costs?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Oxnard, CA

I have court fees where they want $125 / mo. on top of my $138 probation fee for 36 months. I now have a felony and am unable to get a job in this failing economy. Basically I can't give them what I don't have. Maybe theres a remedy out there for the people getting charged these ridiculous extortionist fines and fees. Could a fee waiver be possible? This in in Ventura County Courts where you come on vacation and leave on probation. If any lawyer out there knows of something I can do, please chime in. Thank you in advance.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to contact your attorney and have the terms modified. Bear in mind that they may require community labor to replace the fine. If you don't initiate the process and they catch you it may be jail or prison time for you depending on the circumstances in which you pled. If you have a public defender then contact the public defender's office. Do it tomorrow. Don't procrastinate. I wish you the beat.

    (800) 409-7010

    The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can work it off by the hour working for the county. Just tell your PD to ask the judge how much an hour.

  3. Answered . Just to add to the above answers, some fines/fees can't be waived. You should act promptly by contacting you attorney, whether your attorney was a private attorney or a PD. Community labor or community service can sometimes be substituted in lieu of jail time. Never hurts to ask.

    The information above is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI as a criminal offense

Since DUI is a criminal offense, a conviction will allow courts to impose criminal penalties like mandatory rehabilitation, fines, or even imprisonment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,076 answers this week

3,598 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,076 answers this week

3,598 attorneys answering