What will happen if charged with Embezzlement ( Larceny) of 300K from employer. They are investigating.

Buford, GA |

I am a 1st offender who has been through a rough patch for the last 4 years. I am being investigated for taking over 300K. As a 1st offender in Georgia, what time am I looking at? I am 8 months pregnant and scared. I want to pay the money back no matter how long it takes. Please tell me my chances.

1. These are very serious charges. I would make no further statements on this board or to anyone other than attorney. You should contact an attorney right away. Proceeding without one could cause great detriment to your case.

Wes Hill
    (404) 736-9167

This response does not create an attorney client relationship nor should the advice be relied upon because it is not specific to your legal situation. Before you depend on legal advice, you should retain competent counsel.

2. Most theft cases which do not involve burglary end up with probated sentences. However, circumstances such as the amount of the theft and the nature of how it was taken can change that. I am almost certain that, short of the employer begging that you not be incarcerated, the prosecution will seek some jail time. I strongly suggest that you hire a lawyer asap to speak with your employer. There may even be a chance that they would be willing to forego filing criminal charges in order to get restitution (on the basis that you can't pay them back if you are in jail). There are may other elements that an attorney could help you with in what is going to be an anxious and complicated process.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP hmgrmg@yahoo.com 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

3. From anyones perspective, especially the prosecutior's, that is a good deal of money. You will need to secure a great lawyer and work closely with them to try to avoid jail time. Who you took the money from and their attitude toward punishment is something to consider carefully. If you are on first offender probation at this time that will complicate things for you further. you may be able to avoid jail time but you really need to make sure you get a great lawyer as soon as possible.

4. First, STOP posting things on the internet that someone could take as an admission of guilt!
    Second, there is no way to tell exactly what you are facing without more details. CALL an attorney BEFORE you are asked to give a statement. Many of us offer free consultations. Depending on your specific circumstances, and how the prosecutors plan to proceed, you could either be facing up to 10 years on a State charge, or many more if charged as a federal crime.
    In any event, if you know there is an investigation already, the time to post questions on the internet is over. It is time you get serious and actually speak with an attorney!
    Please let me know if i can be of assistance. I would be happy to help.
    Regards,
    M. Jason Rhoades

5. 1) STOP POSTING ON THE INTERNET ANYTHING ABOUT THE INVESTIGATION OF THE THEFT!!! What you are doing is making an ADMISSION of GUILT!!! -- "I want to pay the money back no matter how long it takes"!!!! In Georgia an ADMISSION such as yours can be used as evidence of your GUILT!!!
    2) DO NOT MAKE ANY STATEMENT TO LAW ENFORCEMENT OR ANYONE ELSE CONCERNING THE ALLEGED THEFT!!! *** See #1.
    3)RETAIN THE MOST QUALIFIED AND EXPERIENCED CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY THAT IS AVAILABLE TO YOU ---- ASAP. I'm sure that Attorney will AGREE with this answer to your question.
    These charges are VERY serious and can result in you being INCARCERATED - Please take action to protect yourself ASAP! Good Luck!
    George McCranie IV

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.