What will happen if after filing I-485 (green card) and before getting the GC in the mail, you get fired from your company?

Asked over 1 year ago - Quincy, MA

If this is not a good scenario, are the alternatives or options?

Additional information

What should/can you do if this happens?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You will have to pay a visit to an immigration attorney who will provide you with an answer after having reviewed the entire file and found answers to at least the following questions:
    1. Was your I485 filed based on properly acquired I-140 petition
    2. Was that petition based on a bona fide offer of employment
    3. Was the I485 pending for at least 180 days prior to the termination of your employment
    4. Do you have a new valid offer of same or similar employment, including self employment option in the same or similar occupation. Good luck and select wise to find an experienced attorney in this time of law.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Jeffrey Adam Devore

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . An alien who has applied for adjustment of status based upon an approved employment based petition may port to a new employer provided the application for adjustment of status has been pending for more than 180 days and the new job is substantially similar to the one in the approved petition. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for more information.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Depends on the totality of the facts of the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,904 answers this week

3,065 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,904 answers this week

3,065 attorneys answering