WHAT WILL HAPPEN AT THE TRIAL FOR DIVORCE?

Asked over 1 year ago - Elizabeth, NJ

My EX refused to agree to the marital settlement and we have to go to trial.
What will happened before the JUDGE. Do I get divorce that day?.. The attorney I have told me that I have to pay him a lot of money.
This is 2 years married (2009 and filed divorce on 12/7/11). There is a CONDO I bought before marriage (2006) . She wants to get some money of it.
. Also, I still marriege to my first Wife (2008) Do you think that the woman I marriage in 2009 has any rights to my assets if I was married or this MARRIAGE(2009) IS VOID?

1. Thomas S. Durst

Pro

5

Answered . Trials can take several days and can be very expensive. The decisions is usually not given immediately. If you are not divorced from your first spouse, your second marriage is not technically valid. However, your current spouse could have some equitable claims.

2. Jeffrey Anthony Skiendziul

4

Answered . Lawyers are expensive. The issues you have right now should be discussed with the attorney you retained to represent you. If you are concerned about legal fees you should address this issue with your attorney for further clarification.

You probably signed a written retainer agreement. If you did, you should read it over. If you don't understand the agreement after you read it over, then take the agreement to the attorney and ask them to go over it for you with respect to legal fees.

Ask your attorney about what is considered "marital property" for further clarification about whether the condo is subject to equitable distribution.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

3

Answered . The only money I can see her getting is whatever the increase in value was during the marriage. I doubt that is much. The trial will usually take a lot of days. It is very expensive.