What will happen?

Fredericksburg, VA |

I'm 21 years old and I got caught shoplifting from Wal-Mart. The total was $30.32. This is my first shoplifting offense but my record shows traffic violations and a dismissed possession of marijuana charge from a few years ago. My arraignment is tomorrow morning. My questions are what will happen at my arraignment, will I be put on probation and will this remain on my record or could I pay a restitution fine?

Your case will not be decided on Avvo. We both know that. Even if I describe a general legal procedure of arraignment for you. Basically, the process means that a criminal defendant's first appearance in court or before a judge on a criminal charge. At arraignment, the charges against the defendant will be read or formal reading of such may be waived. After than, the bench judge asks the defendant if he is aware of the charges against him. Respectively, you will be asked how you wish to plead. It is not a hearing to determine guilt or innocence. That is it.
However, it will not change the obvious need for a criminal defense counsel to keep your criminal record clean and your future chances of educational and employment pursuits untarnished.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

An arraignment is just a formal reading of the charges. In Virginia, you do not enter a plea at an arraignment. You will be asked about your plans for an attorney, and the court will set a trial date. You would need to speak to your attorney regarding advice on what you should do in defense of the charges.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

James Garrett
Garrett Law Group, PLC
http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
jd@garrettlawgroup.com
(757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Arraignment procedures vary in each jurisdiction. However, the court always advises the defendant of what they are charged with and that they have a right to counsel. Usually, the court will ask if you plan on hiring an attorney, applying for a court appointed attorney, or waiving your right to counsel. You should schedule an appointment with a local defense attorney to discuss your case.