Skip to main content

What will be the first step that me and my husband do? do we have penalty for filing late? what are the forms needed?

Stockton, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

I entered here in US as K1visa last April 24'2011 & got married July 8,2011 but unable to adjust my status until now becoz of money matter and I got pregnant. it's been more than 2 years that I overstayed my visa. Now,we are ready to file my adjustment of status.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. So, do you have the money now?

    If so, hire an attorney ... it MIGHT be fixable.

    If you are low income go here: or

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. Your being ready should incorporate being also ready to consult in person with a local immigration attorney in California. You can still adjust with the same husband.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. You can file now - I-130, I-485, etc.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. Ok, so retain an immigration lawyer...

    John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

  5. Prudent thing to do is retain an immigration lawyer

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics