What was the policy for unaccompanied/accompanied minors trying to cross the border in 1998?

Houston, TX |

I was nine at the time. They let me and my brother go after a few hours. I read a lot regarding this matter, but want to double check that in our case it could have been voluntary return since we were accompanied instead of expedited removal.

We qualify for Deferred Action. Not sure how the latter issue might affect us as far as applying for Deferred Action.

1. Hello,

In 1998, the legal provisions were very similar to what they are today. The last major reform of the immigration laws, IIRAIRA, was in 1996 with an effective date of April 1, 1997.

It would be unusual for expedited removal to be applied to children, but it is not impossible, and I have seen it happen. I would encourage you to consider having an attorney assist you to complete FBI and FOIA background checks to make certain you don't have something in your record about which you need to be concerned. Tomorrow is only the first day for deferred action applications, but there currently is no deadline and no quota. However, there also is no appeal process for those who file and are denied. Thus, it is most important to gather as much information as you can about anything that potentially may affect your case before submitting an application.

Best wishes,
    Jennifer

Ms. Doerrie's answer to your question is general in nature, as not all facts and circumstances relating to the specific person(s) and situations involved are known to her. Ms. Doerrie recommends consulting with an immigration attorney regarding your specific facts and circumstances prior to making any legal decision or submitting any form or application. This response does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.