Skip to main content

What visa processes do i need for these things?

New York, NY |


I'm 16 years old from the UK. All of my dad's family are US citizens except my dad. My aunts, uncle and all of my cousins live over there and I'd really like to live there too, even just temporarily for like 2 years or so. Everywhere i look on the visa websites, it doesn't state anything about going to a relative who isn't either your mum/dad/nan/grandad/son/daughter, leaving me the same as if i have no relatives out there at all which is not the case. How do i go about this?

Also, i receive my school results soon and if they are too low to go to my sixth form my mum said i can stay with one of my relatives in the US and attend a high school. How do i go about this? is it possible? thanks.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    The fact that your uncles and aunts are US citizens does not confer any immigration or visa or status right on you. All you can do it this point is apply for an F-1 student visa to come and study in the US.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. First, I would say that you cannot participate in family based immigration for the reasons you state. Second, please contact a US immigration attorney to be sure.

    Good luck.

  3. Apply for an F-1 student visa and enroll in a US college.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics