What US Code section would pertain to a dispute where a bank provided a consumer with inaccurate information which caused...

Asked almost 2 years ago - Minneapolis, MN

the consumer's credit score to decline? There was no Truth in Lending Act violation, just incorrect information provided by the bank regarding credit inquiries.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Adam William Klotz


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My colleague is correct. From the sounds of it, there may be a violation of the FCRA. As stated, see naca.net for a consumer protection attorney in your area that may be able to help. Many such attorneys, like myself, offer free consultations.

    Adam W. Klotz
    FREE CONSULTATIONS- 612.223.6767 ext. 3

    The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to... more
  2. Amy Lavonne Wells

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I am not sure I follow your question, but I'll give it a shot. If your credit score was decreased by something the bank did, I am presuming you mean they accessed your credit report (creating an inquiry on your credit report) without a proper reason to do so. If this is what you mean, it may be an impermissible purposed in violated of a federal law called the Fair Credit Reporting Act (the FCRA). Here is a link to information regarding what constitutes a permissible purpose http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1681b

    If you believe the bank may have pulled your credit report without a permissible purpose, you should consult an experienced advocate in your area. Go to www.naca.net, which has an attorney locator feature to put you in touch with a seasoned attorney.

    All the best to you.

    NOTE: This Answer does not constitute legal advice. Every case is fact specific. To render a legal opinion, an... more
  3. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes these actions may have violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act

    Contact one of my fellow attorneys that wisely commented on your dispute.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,604 answers this week

2,975 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,604 answers this week

2,975 attorneys answering