What types of questions are asked at a deposition?

Asked 10 months ago - Sayville, NY

my soon to be ex's lawyer is insisting on deposing me. When my attorney said he will be deposing her at the same time they went crazy! they are trying everything in their power to get out of being deposed. What types of questions can be asked? and why are they so afraid? I am not even sure what the purpose of the deposition is? will it be about our children?

1. Bruce Provda

Pro

6

Answered . A deposition is questioning under oath but not in the courtroom . It is informal formal questions, more than the interrogatories that you might have answered and might possibly be used at trial if different answers are given to the same questions. It also gives the attorneys an idea of the strength of their respective cases. Your attorney will prepare you for this. Your "ex" may not want to face certain questions under oath, often those are questions related to finance.

2. Howard A. Schwartz

3

Answered . The purpose of a deposition is to gain discovery material in addition to that which has already been provided. There are times that it gives one side information that they can use if the case goes to trial. Sometimes it is used to aggravate the other side and push people closer to a resolution. Your lawyer should be able to gauge what is going on. Good luck.

This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.
  3. Howard E. Knispel

Pro

3

Answered . A deposition is part of discovery and is meant to find out financial information. It is standard in most contested divorce cases. The attorney will ask questions of the deposed person in front of a court reporter. Usually both sides are deposed at the same time or shortly after one another.

4. David Alexander Browde

Pro

2

Answered . Depositions focus on any unresolved issue in the divorce. They're somewhat unusual except in high value or high conflict cases.

5. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Anything relevent to the issues in the case. Pretty much the only thing that cannot be asked is a question that is palpably improper or seeks to violate a priviledge such as attorney-client or doctor-patient unless the priviledge has already been wavied.