What types of juvenile cases go to federal court?

Asked 12 months ago - Las Vegas, NV

Is the federal juvenile system tougher than the State's, like adult criminal court?

I meant, do federal courts treat juveniles harsher than the State juvenile system, like the federal courts treat adults harsher than the State in terms of sentencing?

1. Stephen F Wallace

3

Answered . None. Like divorce there is no juvenile court specific to Fed Court. It is possible for Federal Crimes to be charged against minors in certain circumstances.

2. Raymond George Wigell

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my Avvo colleague. If this is a hypothetical question you should consider doing more research, if this is a real concern you should Consult and retain an experienced federal criminal defense attorney ASAP.

3. Joshua Sabert Lowther

Pro

2

2

Answered . Federal courts are reluctant to prosecute juveniles, but pursuant to 18 U.S.C. ยง 5032, they will if the appropriate state court does not have jurisdiction or refuses to exercise jurisdiction; the state court has insufficient services or programs to adequately address the needs of the juvenile; or the charged offense is a violent crime or serious drug offense and there is substantial federal interest in the case to exercise federal jurisdiction. Juvenile adjudications may be more or less lenient than in the various state courts, depending on the offense charged; violent crimes seem to be punished relatively more harshly in federal courts than in state juvenile courts.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
    NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
    jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
    http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
    866.380.1782