What type of trust or entity allows an individual to take advantage of the $5 Million dollar gift tax exemption?

Asked over 2 years ago - Minneapolis, MN

while permitting the grantor to have the ability to control (withdraw funds) the trust?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Stephanie Diane Winstead

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . What you are hoping to accomplish required an advanced level of planning from a knowledgeable and experienced estate planning attorney. This is because you’re trying to make a gift with “strings attached,” also known as a “retained interest.” The IRS considers such gifts to be “incomplete gifts” and as a result the transferred property is drawn back into the donor’s estate for estate tax purposes.

    However, there are strategies involving a combination of irrevocable trusts and LLCs (or other entities) that allow you to transfer assets into an entity that you control and then gift interests in the entity to the irrevocable trusts for your beneficiaries. Please keep in mind that the assets will need to be valued by a qualified appraiser, the amount gifted will need to be reported to the IRS on a Gift Tax Return Form 709 (http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i709/ch01.html), and the appraisal report will need to be attached to the Gift Tax Return.

    I also need to caution you that any attempt to circumvent the Internal Revenue Code will be highly scrutinized and the transactions could be overturned by the IRS. As I said before, this is an advanced area of tax law that should only be undertaken with the counsel of knowledgeable and experienced estate planning attorney, and even then, there are no guarantees.

    See Internal Revenue Code Sections 2501 et seq regarding imposition of gift tax.

    This answer is provided by tax and estate planning attorney Stephanie D. Winstead. Mrs. Winstead is licensed to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,610 answers this week

2,278 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,610 answers this week

2,278 attorneys answering