What type of sentencing can i expect from a first time domestic violence charge from a fiance

Asked about 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

25 years age no prior records full time student engaged to fiance that was involved with event

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jim Mitchell Medley

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Get good representation and perhaps you will not have any sentence. An assault case on your record is not a good thing. Perhaps After somet ime things can calm down between you and your fiancé. Your attorney may also identify defenses in the facts of the situation. Don't just give up and assume you will be convicted.
    Contact a qualified lawyer as soon as you can.

  2. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends on what level of offense you are being charged with. If it is a Class A misdemeanor, the maximum punishment is up to one year in the county jail and a $4,000 fine. Or you could be placed on up to two years probation. The maximum pen time on a felony depends on the degree of felony. What you need is to do anything you can to get an outright dismissal on this case. Even if you are placed on deferred probation, you will never be able to seal the record from public view because it is a family violence offense. It is almost as good as a conviction. There are several creative ways to get these cases dismissed. You need to retain an attorney as soon as possible to meet with you and your fiance in person to discuss the possible outcomes.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  3. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Dallas, and many other counties, family violence cases have their own prosecutors that solely focus on these cases. You and your fiance need to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney to start preparing because the state already has. The range of punishment depends on how badly the alleged victim was allegedly injured or how badly the police claim s/he was injured. It can be as little as a Class C misdemeanor all the way up into the felony world so it's important to speak with a lawyer right away. I am happy to speak with you about your options. Good luck and feel free to contact me.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more
  4. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . What Mr. Medley says about getting an attorney is so very true.

    Depending on how a domestic violence case ends, you could end up with very serious consequences that only begin with being labeled a batterer. For example, you could lose your right to own, possession and use firearms. BTW a person who is merely charged with domestic violence loses their gun rights at a minimum while the case is going through the courts. Whether the defendant gets those rights back depends on the result.

    So, you need to get a lawyer NOW. My suggestion is start looking TODAY.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,847 answers this week

2,909 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,847 answers this week

2,909 attorneys answering