What type of punishment is perjury?

Tacoma, WA |

Forced to write a false statement from police, filing for misconduct HOWEVER it's going to be my word against his...I'd like some sort of idea what I'm facing? One arrest on a unpaid speeding ticket but no other issues on my record.

1. Perjury is a big deal. Perjury in the first degree (making a materially false sworn statement in an official proceeding) is a Class B felony (up to 10 years prison). Perjury in the second degree (making a material false sworn statement under an insurance contract or with the intent to mislead a public servant) is a Class C felony (up to 5 years prison). False Swearing (making a false statement under oath) is a gross misdemeanor (up to 364 days jail).

You may have all kinds of defenses available to you if the police literally FORCED you to write a false statement. I'd recommend you talk to an attorney right away if you're afraid that you committed perjury or may be charged with perjury.

Good luck!

Please don't consider this free information to be legal advice. If you want legal advice, you should retain an attorney.

2. The cop's word will always have more credibility then your own.
    Unless you have some kind of proof.
    You need a attorney.

This is not legal advice. If order to give you legal advice i would need to see the Tickets and talk to the court first. Good luck:)

Traffic tickets topics