What type of punishment is perjury?

Asked over 2 years ago - Tacoma, WA

Forced to write a false statement from police, filing for misconduct HOWEVER it's going to be my word against his...I'd like some sort of idea what I'm facing? One arrest on a unpaid speeding ticket but no other issues on my record.

1. Blake Nathaniel Dore

Pro

2

Answered . Perjury is a big deal. Perjury in the first degree (making a materially false sworn statement in an official proceeding) is a Class B felony (up to 10 years prison). Perjury in the second degree (making a material false sworn statement under an insurance contract or with the intent to mislead a public servant) is a Class C felony (up to 5 years prison). False Swearing (making a false statement under oath) is a gross misdemeanor (up to 364 days jail).

You may have all kinds of defenses available to you if the police literally FORCED you to write a false statement. I'd recommend you talk to an attorney right away if you're afraid that you committed perjury or may be charged with perjury.

Good luck!

2. Zev Goldstein

Pro

1

Answered . The cop's word will always have more credibility then your own.
    Unless you have some kind of proof.
    You need a attorney.