What type of parking space can a landlord charge you for in new jersey

I am in a 3 story complex. The parking is out back and uncovered. It actually looks like part of a driveway that was partially converted to parking spaces.

Hackensack, NJ -

Matthew R Schutz

Matthew R Schutz

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Flemington, NJ

It depends on the lease. If it is silent on the issue of parking or gives you the right to park for free, They would have to wait until the lease expires and put it in as a reasonable change.

Adam Lefkowitz

Adam Lefkowitz

Real Estate Attorney - East Brunswick, NJ

A review of your lease is needed before properly answering this question; but generally speaking, landlords may charge for parking.

Steven Todd Keppler

Steven Todd Keppler

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Somerville, NJ

Your landlord can charge for parking, though that would need to be in the lease. It's not uncommon for parking to be free for renters, or for spaces to be assigned. Again, any restrictions would need to be in the lease.

If the lease is silent, you cannot be charged for parking until a new agreement is signed.