What type of lawyers specify in dealing with University Financial Aid?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fall River, MA

My financial aid counselor handled my Independent status case poorly, and possibly purposefully so, in a way that lead to my inevitable denial in Continuation of my Independent status. Plenty of witness verification/paperwork to prove her decision was not properly done as described

1. Thomas J Callahan

Answered . Not sure if anyone specializes in just this narrow area, but seek out attorneys who list education law as an area of practice. You may find that you have to deal administrratively within the university first before any lawsuit, and you might think about starting over this counselor's head.

2. James Joseph Bagley

Answered . I'm not sure that there are lawyers who specialize in financial aid. Check with your institution to discover if there is an appeals process for your status, your witnesses/documents would be useful in that forum. Do you have financial damages (harm that you've suffered?) If you hire an attorney you will be paying the attorney hourly or a third of whatever you recover. A lawyer may not be your best bet.