What type of lawyers specify in dealing with University Financial Aid?

Asked about 1 year ago - Fall River, MA

My financial aid counselor handled my Independent status case poorly, and possibly purposefully so, in a way that lead to my inevitable denial in Continuation of my Independent status. Plenty of witness verification/paperwork to prove her decision was not properly done as described

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Thomas J Callahan

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Not sure if anyone specializes in just this narrow area, but seek out attorneys who list education law as an area of practice. You may find that you have to deal administrratively within the university first before any lawsuit, and you might think about starting over this counselor's head.

    To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a... more
  2. James Joseph Bagley

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I'm not sure that there are lawyers who specialize in financial aid. Check with your institution to discover if there is an appeals process for your status, your witnesses/documents would be useful in that forum. Do you have financial damages (harm that you've suffered?) If you hire an attorney you will be paying the attorney hourly or a third of whatever you recover. A lawyer may not be your best bet.

    Avvo answers are not substitutes for the educated opinion of a lawyer who knows the facts of your particular case... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,629 answers this week

2,808 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,629 answers this week

2,808 attorneys answering