What type of lawyers specify in dealing with University Financial Aid?

Fall River, MA |

My financial aid counselor handled my Independent status case poorly, and possibly purposefully so, in a way that lead to my inevitable denial in Continuation of my Independent status. Plenty of witness verification/paperwork to prove her decision was not properly done as described

Not sure if anyone specializes in just this narrow area, but seek out attorneys who list education law as an area of practice. You may find that you have to deal administrratively within the university first before any lawsuit, and you might think about starting over this counselor's head.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.

I will try this, I have minimal to lose! Thank you very much!

I'm not sure that there are lawyers who specialize in financial aid. Check with your institution to discover if there is an appeals process for your status, your witnesses/documents would be useful in that forum. Do you have financial damages (harm that you've suffered?) If you hire an attorney you will be paying the attorney hourly or a third of whatever you recover. A lawyer may not be your best bet.

Avvo answers are not substitutes for the educated opinion of a lawyer who knows the facts of your particular case and should not be relied upon as such. My answer to you did not create an attorney-client relationship. James J Bagley Whaley, Bowie and Bagley LLC Providence, RI 401 454 7700 jbagley@wbblegal.com

If my FAFSA remains incomplete, I will not be able to enroll for my last year, nor will I receive any aid that would have been disbursed, losing my last years education/putting it on hold. So if that would count as a damage, then yes :)