What type of Lawyer would I need to sue a thief?

Asked over 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I had a large amount of expensive equipment stolen from me ($90K), recently the police arrested the thief and he is now awaiting trial.

I would like to sue him for damages & losses. What type of Lawyer would I need?
I'm assuming it's best to wait until after the trial to sue?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Barry Franklin Poulson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Or, you can ask the prosecutor to ask for restituion. Provide a good list, appraisals if needed. Restituion has more teeth, gets set faster, and costs you nothing.

    After the plea or trial, you can decide if suing is worth the additional effort.

    We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I... more
  2. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need an attorney that practices collections, civil litigation, or general civil law.

    There is definitely a benefit to waiting until after the trial. A finding of guilt in the criminal proceedings would make the issue of liability much easier to "prove" in a civil proceeding. However, waiting is not a necessity.

    The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor... more
  3. Hugh Michael Ruppersburg

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . Just about any civil litigation lawyer could handle this case.

    One thing to keep in mind is that you may end up paying your lawyer more than you ever recover from the thief. You could get a verdict and judgment against the thief but the likelihood of collecting it is slim to none - unless the thief is worth a lot of money or owns property without mortgages on it.

    As mentioned in the other answer, you should ask the prosecutor handling the case to seek restitution. Then the thief would be required to repay you as part of his probation. Again, don't hold your breath on being repaid. Hopefully the police recovered the stolen equipment.

    While the prosecution would probably prefer that you wait until after the criminal trial to file suit, it really doesn't matter. If the thief pleads guilty, that would be admissible in your civil case as proof that the thief admitted stealing from you. However, a weird quirk of Georgia law is that if the thief goes to trial and a jury finds him guilty, that is inadmissible in your civil case.

    Depending on the circumstances of the theft and the type of insurance you have, you may be able to submit a claim to your insurance company for the stolen equipment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,463 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,463 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering