What type of lawyer would I need to file a lawsuit against a tax practitioner for committing fraud?

Washington, DC |

I file my taxes recently and the tax practitioner changed personal information on my return, without my consent. After I sign the original documents.

1. You likely have tax issues to clear up with the IRS which should be your first step to meet with a new tax practitioner to ferret out the discrepancies between what was filed by the first one and what you had intended to file and resolve them. You could have civil/consumer complaints against the practitioner, and depending on specifics, a criminal complaint as well the bar grievance. While you might not want the answer, your best bet is likely going to be another tax lawyer who understands all of the moving components involved with the forms, documents, processes, and procedures with the IRS - then that person can help point you in the right directions to pursue your civil/consumer/bar grievance options since they can understand precisely what "wrong" the tax practitioner did, based on the specific facts of the incident, rather than just giving general suppositions.

Best of luck

There is NO attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am NOT your attorney. We have no signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees. Further, everything we both just wrote is publicly available on the internet and would be the same as if we were talking in a crowded restaurant, there are many witnesses looking over your shoulder and can repeat anything you write here. If you need legal assistance use Avvo to find a local attorney in your jurisdiction that you feel can best represent your interests as a zealous advocate. My experience is in corporate tax, white collar criminal defense, partnership tax, and tax controversy/litigation. If you're being audited by the IRS or state taxing authority, or you are taking an unusually risky tax position on a return, that is the kind of thing you should have experienced counsel on your side and we can set up an initial consultation. If you have a family law, debt collection, violent crime sort of issue then I do not handle that. Do not contact me for an initial consultation on non-tax matters.