What type of lawyer should I look for?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Douglassville, PA

I am intersted in purchasing an existing winery. Do I need a specialized lawyer? If so, what type of background should they have so that I can search for one?

1. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

6

1

Answered . Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, New Jersey or Federal law apply, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, you have three significant areas of law involved; real estate, corporate/mergers and acquisitions and tax. Depending on the structure of the purchase, the real estate issue may not be relevant (i.e. if you by the stock of the company that owns the real estate). However, if you buy the property directly as an asset purchase of some kind, then there may be only real estate issues. If you are buying an operating business with employees, you may have some employment issues to review as well.

I would need to know more before telling you which type of attorney is best situated to assist you. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or telephone number.

/Christopher E. Ezold/
    The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    One Belmont Avenue,
    Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585
    Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
    www.ezoldlaw.com

2. Michael Leo Potter

Pro

5

1

Answered . In purchasing an existing business, you're going to want an Accountant to audit the profit and loss statements and other financial books of the business, and you're going to want a Business Law attorney to handle the legal aspects of the purchase. Avvo.com has an excellent listing for Pennsylvania, and I'm sure you can find a competent and experienced attorney to help you. Good Luck on your case!

3. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

4

1

Answered . Good approach. Yes, you need one. I would suggest an attorney with corporate, business and tax experience and vision licensed in the state where you want to buy. Good luck!

4. Raphael Samuel Moore

4

Answered . Agreed. Good business transactional lawyer should work well.

5. Peter John Dolan

Pro

2

Answered . That sounds like a great experience and opportunity. I would suggest hiring a good local attorney that can stick with you as your company grows. The attorney will not need to be an expert in each field but have the connections within his firm or network to access an expert when necessary.