Skip to main content

What type of Lawyer do I need to Sue the Department of Corrections and The Manufacturer of a Drug?

Citrus Heights, CA |

My husband was given HCTZ for Blood Pressure 6 months ago and 4 months after he started taking it he got this spot on his lip. The next month he had more and two months later he was diagnosed with lip cancer and now it has spread throughout his lips, cheek and tongue, and the Dept. of Corrections has not followed Dr.'s orders to get this out ASAP and that was 2 months ago. Now he is going to be disfigured for life. This was totally unnecessary on Prison's part.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to contact a personal injury attorney ASAP because all state departments have very strict time limits regarding notice of injuries, usually 6 months. Also, I am not aware of cancer being reported as a side effect of taking HCTZ. You may wan tto discuss this with the attorney as well.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


If your issue is regarding the medical treatment provided to your husband, you should talk with a medical malpractice attorney. California has a 6 month period in which you must file a claim before suing a government agency. As such, you should act quickly. There are many fine attorneys on AVVO. If your issue is what you believe to be a side effect of the medication, you should consult with a products liability an attorney who is experienced in dealing with pharmaceuticals. Again, there are many fine attorneys on AVVO.


There is a short statute of limitations, thus, retain a personal injury lawyer in your state immediately.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer