Skip to main content

What type of lawyer do i need for child abuse charges?

Fort Collins, CO |

i am trying to get an attorney but don't know where to look.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It depends. It depends whether you are talking about criminal charges brought by the police or district attorney or a civil investigation by child protective services. It depends whether you are being charged or investigated or if you want to have someone else charged or investigated. It depends whether the "charges" are about your child, a child you are responsible for in some professional capacity or a child with whom you have no significant relationship.

The Avvo moderator put a link to their legal resources in Colorado page after your question. I have added the link back in below since I think it goes away when an answer is posted.

You shouldn't answer my "it depends" list here but instead talk privately with the lawyer referral service or other intake person from the links below and let them know what type of case you have so they can make a good referral.



Is there a link such as the above for New York? I have a friend who needs the same question answered. I believe he's been wrongly accused.

Michael L Rich

Michael L Rich

Posted The NACC link should be the same, just switch the area of search to NY


It is not clear why you wish to find a lawyer, but the Colorado Bar Association provides a directory that should help - If you have been charged with child abuse, then search for a criminal defense lawyer, if wish to report criminal chld abuse you should contact the local law enforcement authorities or go to the Colorado Division of Child Welfare for the county listings for reporting: If you wish to file a personal injury claim for child abuse, then you should seek a personal injury lawyer with expereince in handling abuse cases.

The information provided to you in this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation if you have further questions.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer