Skip to main content

What type of lawyer do I need and do I have a case?

Jonesboro, GA |

Worked for a company 6 months. The final month I got into a bad car accident. I was unable to return to work within the 3 weeks they gave. I was terminated because I did not qualify for FMLA. They reported to the Ga DOL as an uncontrollable quit. I did qualify for disability through the company. Was paid 3 weeks out of 5 months and kept being denied , when every note requested from my Doctors was sent. Found out I was pregnant. The Ortho Dr took me off work but couldn't render anything further until after the baby. I am seeing the chiro but now the complaint of the company is I must file an appeal because I didn't send notes for pregnancy when they never asked. I wrote to to the CEO and he says HR called and offered my job back or to separate employment. Not true.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You can call a local employment lawyer to discuss.


I am sorry about your accident. It sounds as if the past few months have been a whirlwind for you. If your car accident was related to work, you should speak with a workers' compensation attorney. Otherwise, you should speak to an employment lawyer regarding your possible claims. I wish you all the best in recovering from your accident and your pregnancy.


B. Shawn Rhodes
Powers and Rhodes


You're question is a little confusing. It appears you may have two or more potential cases here. If the car accident was not work related and was someone else's fault this would be your 1st claim for personal injuries caused by someone else. The 2nd claim might be against your employer for wrongful termination and 3rd claim may be for wrongful denial of benefits. I suggest you contact the appropriate attorneys in your area. A personal Injury Attorney can advise you on your car accident. An employment Attorney can give you advise on the other two potential claims. If the car accident happened while on the job, you may also need a workers compensation Attorney. Best of luck to you.


I agree with the others in that I find your question very confusing. Was the auto accident in any way work related? (were you travelling to or from work?). If so, it may be a worker's compensation claim, or it could be a standard auto accident/personal injury lawsuit. If it is an accident unrelated to work, you would be entitled to recover for any lost wages that resulted from the accident, in addition to recovering any medical bills and pain and suffering.

Please respond with more information, and I'll provide whatever additional information I can.

For more information, contact us at or (770) 984-5380. The initial consultation is always free. This post is intended to provide general guidance, and should not be construed as legal advice. While I am an attorney, unless we sign a retainer agreement, I am not your attorney, and any information shared on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer