What type of Deed Document do I need to transfer property from a joint tenant to his Living Trust, if the other JT died?

Asked over 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

In CA, if a husband and wife have taken title to property as joint tenants and wife dies, can the husband transfer the property to his Living Trust with a Trust Transfer Deed reflecting Grantors, husband and wife to Grantee: the Living Trust of Husband or would the husband need to first execute an Affidavit of Death of Joint Tenant and then a Transfer Deed?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Robert Paul Bergman

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The latter is correct. In order to clear the title to the property to permit the transfer into the husband's living trust, an Affidavit of Death of Joint Tenant will need to be recorded along with a certified copy of the Certificate of Death for the wife.

    A Trust Transfer Deed can be prepared and filed at the same time as the Affidavit, with an instruction to the Recorder to record the Affidavit first, followed by the Trust Transfer Deed.

    Please remember to mark what you believe to be the best answer to your question. This answer is provided by... more
  2. Sean Patrick Lewis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Good advice already provided. I would add also that with family status changes, it is a good time to verify that the current trust terms are what is desired. Often, with family status changes, trusts are adjusted to accommodate the new situation.

    Good luck!

    The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,236 answers this week

3,204 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,236 answers this week

3,204 attorneys answering