Skip to main content

What type of attorney do I need to solve this problem?

Clinton, WA |

I am joint tenant with right of survivorship of a house and property in WA, with the other joint tenant being my ex-partner. He wants me to file a quit claim. I want half the value of the property. He is wealthy, I am unemployed and in debt.
How do I proceed? He is now threatening to take me to court if we can't agree on a settlement. The relationship was an abusive one with him being the abuser. I would like to settle this without having any contact with him.
I currently live in a county other than the one the property is located in.
Thanks for any and all advice. I have tried numerous local resources but have yet to solve this legal puzzle.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You are not required to sign off all of your interests in this property, particularly if you contributed toward the purchase price or expenses of the home. You will need an attorney to represent your interests in this, particularly if this goes to court. You have every right to hold out for payment of whatever you feel is fair compensation for your share of the property.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

  2. You may want to consult a family law attorney to determine your rights, and possibly a real estate attorney. They will have better information about dividing this property during lifetime than estate planning attorneys as the rules are different post-death where the source of funds to purchase the property do not matter.

    This answer provides general legal information and should not be construed as legal advice to be applied to any specific factual situation. It is not intended to create and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The attorney writing this post is licensed in Texas and Washington only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ.

  3. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. Hiring an attorney would allow the attorney to contact him so you don't have to.

    This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. For more information, please visit

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics