Skip to main content

What type of attorney do I need to defend myself in an auto-related injury claim that took place outside of my home state?

Chicago, IL |

I am a defendant in an auto-related injury claim that happened in California. I reside in Chicago. Although my insurance companies have provided legal counsel, I'm considering retaining counsel to ensure that my best interests are looked after.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. An attorney who is experienced and qualified to handle litigation, and specifically, personal injury litigation is what you are interested in. Some might argue an attorney who primarily represents defendants, and some might argue one who primarily represents plaintiffs. In my view, as long as the attorney is competent and able it should not matter. Whether you even need, as you acknowledge, local counsel is the rub. Good luck.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  2. Report it to your insurer and they will hire counsel for you. If you didn't have insurance at the time then hire a personal injury defense lawyer.
    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

  3. It is certainly your right to hire your own attorney, however, my only questions would be whether that is necessary and whether you would be incurring an unnecessary cost. What is the amount of your liability coverage? Is it adequate to cover the alleged injuries? If so, I would rely on your insurance defense counsel. If you have significant personal assets and it appears your liability coverage is inadequate to cover the damages sustained by the other party, at that point you could consider consulting a separate attorney.

    Good luck.

  4. Do you have an Umbrella policy? If so, this would provide the additional protection you may need.

    Please note that we are not forming an attorney - client relationship and the advice is meant to be general. Law Offices of Joel J. Kofsky 1616 Walnut Street Suite 2110 Philadelphia, PA 19103

  5. You should talk to the lawyer provided by your insurance company. See what he has to say before you spend the money.

    The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.