What type of attorney do I need to defend myself in an auto-related injury claim that took place outside of my home state?

I am a defendant in an auto-related injury claim that happened in California. I reside in Chicago. Although my insurance companies have provided legal counsel, I'm considering retaining counsel to ensure that my best interests are looked after.

Chicago, IL -

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Chicago, IL

Report it to your insurer and they will hire counsel for you. If you didn't have insurance at the time then hire a personal injury defense lawyer.
Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL
773-944-9737
Email:  stephen@hofflawyer.com
Website:  www.hofflawyer.com
Blog:  www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Bronx, NY

An attorney who is experienced and qualified to handle litigation, and specifically, personal injury litigation is what you are interested in. Some might argue an attorney who primarily represents defendants, and some might argue one who primarily represents plaintiffs. In my view, as long as the attorney is competent and able it should not matter. Whether you even need, as you acknowledge, local counsel is the rub. Good luck.

S. David Rosenthal Esquire

S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Roseville, CA

It is certainly your right to hire your own attorney, however, my only questions would be whether that is necessary and whether you would be incurring an unnecessary cost. What is the amount of your liability coverage? Is it adequate to cover the alleged injuries? If so, I would rely on your insurance defense counsel. If you have significant personal assets and it appears your liability coverage is inadequate to cover the damages sustained by the other party, at that point you could consider consulting a separate attorney.

Howard Robert Roitman

Howard Robert Roitman

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Las Vegas, NV

You should talk to the lawyer provided by your insurance company. See what he has to say before you spend the money.

Joel Jay Kofsky

Joel Jay Kofsky

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Do you have an Umbrella policy? If so, this would provide the additional protection you may need.

http://www.phillyinjurylawyer.com/

Related Advice