Skip to main content

What type of attorney do I need for SSI planning?

Austin, TX |

I am in the process of getting approved for SSI benefits. I need some help planning to maximize these benefits. I need questions answered about in-kind donation, gifts, home ownership, possible special needs trusts, etc. I have reached out to several Social Security Lawyers, but they don't seem interested; more interested in getting claims approved. Do I need a Social Security attorney or another type of attorney? And is there anyone that might be interested or be willing to give a referral?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You want to look for an Elder Law attorney, or look for an Estate Planning attorney with experience with special needs planning experience.

    The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.

  2. Elder law attorneys are the best prepared to assist, but not all elder law attorneys handle public benefits issues. A referral can be obtained through

    Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

  3. Attorneys Shultz and Sinclair are correct. I would strongly urge you to speak with an experienced elder law attorney in your area. He or she will be able to assist you with any necessary transfers while staying within the bounds of the law. You may wish to use the "Find a Lawyer" function above and enter the term "elder law" and search in Austin, Texas. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. I am licensed in Connecticut and New York and my answers are based upon the law in those jurisdictions. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if I were to review a client's file and have the opportunity to interview the client. Accordingly, I strongly urge you to retain an attorney in your jurisdiction with respect to any legal matter.

  4. Renee C. Lovelace in Dripping Springs is one of the best in the state - near Austin.

  5. I agree with the answers provided. Here is a link that you may want to review before meeting with an attorney. I hope that the information is helpful and I wish you well.

    Andrew W. Norfleet, Esquire Helping disabled individuals throughout Pennsylvania. DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania and is personal in nature, not professional in nature. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics