What type of attorney do I need for SSI planning?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

I am in the process of getting approved for SSI benefits. I need some help planning to maximize these benefits. I need questions answered about in-kind donation, gifts, home ownership, possible special needs trusts, etc. I have reached out to several Social Security Lawyers, but they don't seem interested; more interested in getting claims approved. Do I need a Social Security attorney or another type of attorney? And is there anyone that might be interested or be willing to give a referral?

1. Charles Adam Shultz

11

1

Answered . You want to look for an Elder Law attorney, or look for an Estate Planning attorney with experience with special needs planning experience.

2. Cheryl Rivera Smith

9

1

Answered . Renee C. Lovelace in Dripping Springs is one of the best in the state - near Austin.

3. Paula Brown Sinclair

9

1

Answered . Elder law attorneys are the best prepared to assist, but not all elder law attorneys handle public benefits issues. A referral can be obtained through www.naela.org.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  4. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

8

1

Answered . Attorneys Shultz and Sinclair are correct. I would strongly urge you to speak with an experienced elder law attorney in your area. He or she will be able to assist you with any necessary transfers while staying within the bounds of the law. You may wish to use the "Find a Lawyer" function above and enter the term "elder law" and search in Austin, Texas. Good luck to you.

5. Andrew W. Norfleet

Pro

7

1

Answered . I agree with the answers provided. Here is a link that you may want to review before meeting with an attorney. I hope that the information is helpful and I wish you well.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-resource...