What type of attorney can cover this? What are the penalties for an employer using this as a retaliatory action?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I live in California, and I was terminated. As expected I received my Cobra paperwork and it stated I was eligible. Approximately four days later before I submitted any paperwork I received a letter, form a third party administration, stating I was not eligible due to Gross Misconduct. I called the administrator and they told me some one removed my qualifying event, deleted, and placed a new event in stating gross misconduct. I was certainly not terminated for gross misconduct, and I’m attempting to find someone to appeal to. The administrator informed me there is no appeals process available to me within the administrator’s policy, but to call the National Labor board.

*** Apr,08 '13***

Thank you all for the quick reply’s. I took your advice and got an attorney, one call and a one meeting later everything was taken care of. No less than four days, and with a very favorable outcome. I can't go further into detail, but I greatly appreciate the assistance.

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . The U.S. Department of Labor administers COBRA and it has a fraud unit. However, even if you can get the DOL to pursue an individual issue like this, it will take forever. You will be better off retaining your own attorney. An attorney may be able to straighten this out and get the company to "correct" its records.

If you have any documentation that pertains to your termination, hang on to it. Did you file for unemployment benefits? If so, did the employer contest your claim, stating you were fired for misconduct?

To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, please go to the web site of the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA). CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys who represent working people. The web site is www.cela.org. Click on "Find a CELA Member" and you can search by location and practice area. Many CELA attorneys represent clients throughout the state.

Search for an attorney who has experience with COBRA – not all employment attorneys do – and who also has experience in federal court, which is the venue for a COBRA action.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.

Marilynn Mika Spencer
    San Diego

2. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

1

1

Answered . You would need an employment/ Labor law attorney. You can challenge an action with the department of labor.

3. Lori Jeanne Costanzo

1

1

Answered . You definitely should contact an attorney asap!

You can try to fight this on your own through the Labor Commissioner's office and EDD may be of help however, if they have manipulated and changed your employment records you need an attorney who can address this on your behalf and seek compensation for you.

One or more answers have been taken down.