What type do of attorney do we need for this against our civil rights

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hazel Green, AL

On 04/03/2013 we were told by sheriffs dept. that my brother had committed suicide .They told us they took body to nearest funeral home, we called wanted to see body of our brother, was told he was not viewable, gunshot to head entry route mouth, so we assumed the worst ,his head had been blown off. An assistant coroner called us he was the one who told us we could not view body, we also requested a toxicology done at our expense was told no, so we assumed this is how these things are handled not to mention we are in shock, my mother had him cremated, after our initial shock we start thinking no one identified him if he was not viewable how did they know who he was, so we call actual county coroner and tell him all this, he informs us that they should of allowed us to see him, he was view

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Answered . The nexus of a civil rights action against a law enforcement agency is the intentional violation of certain fundamental rights secured under the Constitution. Basically, a civil rights action is a 'Constitutional tort' claim. I fail to see any violation of rights in your statement. There may have been some communication issues between the police agency and the family members, but there is surely no deprivation of rights in this instance.

  2. Answered . I agree with the other attorneys in that there does not seem to be a civil rights violation case.

    No representation is made that the quality of legal services to be provides is greater than the quality of legal... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . These facts do not raise a civil rights violation case against the police.

  4. Answered . First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss. Secondly, you would, likely, need to consult with a local personal injury attorney.

    Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and... more

Related Topics

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

State, local, and municipal law

State, local, and municipal laws only apply to one location. However, these laws cover many subjects, such as land use, public services, and education policy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,017 answers this week

3,762 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,017 answers this week

3,762 attorneys answering