What type/classification of lawyer should I get to DEFEND myself from an accident I was at fault for and caused injury?

Asked about 1 year ago - Dearborn, MI

Seems like all the lawyers are those for the victims of a car accident/injury, but what type of lawyer should I get for defending myself?

1. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

17

Answered . You turn it over to your auto insurer and they will defend you and cover losses up to your policy limits. If you did not have auto insurance, you will need an experienced attorney who will protect your interests. I have done these in the past where no insurance was involved and bankruptcy was not an option for the client.

2. Steven M. Gursten

Pro

15

Answered . Tim is correct. You don't need to hire a lawyer to defend you from a car accident (unless you were driving without insurance). All you need to do is turn it over to your own insurance company. The insurer hires a lawyer who will then defend you up to your policy limits.

3. Farid Yaghoubtil

10

Answered . Notify your insurance company of the accident and allow them to defend you. That's what you pay them for.

Farid Yaghoubtil is an attorney at Downtown L.A. Law Group - 1850 E. 15th St., Los Angeles, CA 90021. (855)385-2529.
  4. Jeffrey Mark Adams

9

Answered . Quite the contrary. Need 2 to tango. Simply report this to your insurance company.

5. Charles J. Ware

Pro

7

Answered . Probably a civil defense auto personal injury lawyer.

6. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

6

Answered . If you have insurance, turn case to your company. If you do not have insurance, then get a personal injury lawyer to defend you. Best of luck.,

7. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

4

Answered . Your insurance company is obligated to hire you an attorney so turn the claim over as soon as possible. If you do not have insurance you need an attorney with litigation experience. Now, if you caused very serious injuries, but only have low policy limits, then you might want to hire your own attorney.
    The reason for this is that your damages may exceed the policy limits.

Pro

4

Answered . Your insurance company will provide a free lawyer to defend

9. Mark John Caruso

Pro

4

Answered . Your automobile insurance should provide an attorney for you at no cost to you.

10. John Joseph Lloyd

4

Answered . If you had automobile insurance at the time of the collision then you should request they provide a lawyer for you. If you did not have insurance at the time of the collision, you may want to contact a personal injury attorney or an "insurance defense" lawyer to represent you. Since many personal injury attorney's only represent victims or plaintiffs, there may be more insurance defense lawyers willing to help you. Although they are typically hired by insurance companies to defend an insured driver who is at fault, many of them will also represent individuals on an hourly basis. Many states have Defense Lawyer Associations that you can contact to find a lawyer in your area. Good Luck.

11. Benjamin Pearce Titter

3

Answered . Your auto insurance company will provide an attorney to handle your case.

I am licensed to practice law in VA, not your state. As such, I may be unaware of certain state laws; therefore, my response may be wrong or irrelevant. Please use my response for informational purposes only and contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

Ben Titter
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://vabeachpersonalinjurylawyer.com
    (757) 422-4646 - Available 24 hours